Saturday, March 8, 2014

3 Days of Rain



It has been way to long since I have blogged.  I never want that to happen again!


Where do I start? This has been the second week of classes and all has been well so far. I am a little lost in some areas of my Maori Health Issues and Opportunities Class.There are little things that are common knowledge for New Zealanders that are assumed to be known. I quickly catch on after asking several questions and possibly embarrassing myself.

The weather has been absolutely bizarre this past week. There was constant rain and cold, strong winds for three days, making umbrellas a very bad idea. I thought the local news had reported 111cm of rain, but I can’t imagine that would be correct. It must have been in mm. Some areas did have around 280mm which would have been around a foot, which makes a lot more sense.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/photo-popup/mostype-photogallery-photos--flooding-in-christchurch---march-2014#MOSType-Image-Hekmat-Sultani-SIZED http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/photo-popup/mostype-photogallery-photos--flooding-in-christchurch---march-2014#MOSType-Image-Hekmat-Sultani-SIZED

The link above has a gallery of photos of some of the badly affected areas. The first picture is a kid riding a jet ski down the roads.The news claimed this storm to be the worst rain spell for the past 100 years. The weather was absolutely ridiculous, but at least it finally stopped. Campus was not severely affected at all, at least to my knowledge.

This past week, a friend was nice enough to show me around a scenic route. It was near Kennedy’s Bush overlooking Lyttelton Harbour. It was a fantastic view. The walk to about four hours. The incline was just about right; not a flat walk, yet not too extreme. Cows and sheep occupied the sides of the hills as you walked toward the top. 









Take Care

-Scott



No comments:

Post a Comment