Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Auckland

 
            If there is one thing that I have learned while abroad, it is that I am not a city person. Cities are difficult for me to navigate and get around, see what it all has to offer, and make the most of. Or maybe I just don't enjoy staying in cities. I can, however, appreciate certain aspects of a city, but just could never imagine myself being there. Auckland was nice as I waited for friends to arrive. I was surprised to find out that Auckland has a huge Chinese as well as Indian population. Some signs in particular areas are in both Chinese and English. There was a great Asian Market a few blocks from my hostel in the CBD that was great. Although the place smelled a little funny, I found very cheap food including fruits and veggies so I was more than happy.

          While in the CBD, I walked passed an interesting Metro Retro: Second-Hand "Opshop" area with several different small shops including a café. All of the chairs, tables, registers, and some of the smallest things were all old and antique looking. The place had a very unique and distinct feel to it. I am not one for thrifty, but it was an interesting place to see.
         Auckland had a more thriving nightlife and booming CBD than what we do at school. However, we were there during weekdays so pubs were not a very successful night out. I took a walk that was recommended in my travel guide, hitting lots of major attractions/sights. The art museum had endless Maori artwork and carvings, along with others from all over the world and also specifically NZ. I always enjoy the botanical gardens of the city along with the nighttime cityscape. The skytower gave a nice overlook over all of the city. I could never jump off the tower like so many other tourists do, but it was fun to watch other people do it. I would have liked to get a look at the lava pools, but it was time to travel on.













Take Care,

Scott Morin


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment