Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Samoa

       It has been a very long time since I have blogged last and have lots to catch up on. I really have not had too much going on since my last time: lots of papers and planning before leaving for my break. It was so nice to finally have off.The first trip on my break was to Samoa. I chose Samoa because I have always wanted to experience a tropical place since I was young, and Samoa is a third world country, giving me the experience of both a tropical paradise and a country very different from my own. For those that do  not know, Samoa is just a little North and East of Fiji and also near the Cook Islands.



       Samoa has lots of attractions other than resorts. While in Samoa, I went to the To Sua Ocean trench. This was the highlight of that trip. It was amazing. Volcanic activity created a tunnel underground that filled up with water from the ocean. The trench allows you to swim underneath the ground with a cathedral rock ceiling to another opening to the ground surface. It sounds kind of dangerous, but it is not I promise. The tench is owned by a family village and require a donation as entrance. 


















We had also went to an island nearby that was owned by a family to go snorkeling and to also see sea turtles, sadly we saw none. Snorkeling was successful, seeing sea horses, sea cucumbers, fish of all sizes and colors, and coral of all types.




    The sunsets every night were such a picture perfect sight. The night before my birthday, there was pink moon that lit up the sky. The moon was huge coming up the horizon. Pictures could just not capture the view. Later that night, my friends and I swam in the warm waters of the ocean while the lunar eclipse illuminated the night. At dinner I was given a banana cake and sang to by many different strangers and the workers, in both English and Samoan. It was very neat and uncomfortable at the same time haha. It was different from any other birthday I've had.





Take Care,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment